Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Instant Relatives









They say you can't choose your relatives, but it can be kind of fun finding instant family members to decorate your home. I've long been fascinated with vintage photos and love rummaging through boxes of them at flea markets and antiques stores.

From cabinet cards to tintypes, snapshots to Polaroids, I can't help but wonder who these people were, how they spent their days, and what happened to their loved ones - not to mention admiring their wardrobes! Rather than toss these slices of historic life aside, I prefer to honor them by placing them in a pedestal bowl or on the coffee table for house guests to enjoy. They always prompt conversation!

Vintage photos lend an endearing quality to crafts as well. Many artists use them in collage and altered projects, and I've made my share of greeting cards out of them. (I recommend using colour copies so as to preserve the originals.) Most recently, I've been featuring them in pendants for my assemblage jewelry designs. However you decide to display these old souls, I hope you'll invite some instant relatives into your own home, and ask them to stay a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment